Guess who is a research assistant?

As I had mentioned in my last post that I needed to give an interview for a research position, and so i did and so I got the position :D Yippee! This is the place where I will be working from 16th of June and you can see that the type of work they are doing is really awesome. I will be working on touch screen interfaces, computer graphics, OpenGl and other cool stuff. The sort of stuff every computer programmer wants to work in.

This solves few of my problems, the first being "not returning to Pakistan" and the second being, "getting a visa so I may not return to Pakistan". I am going to get my job letter tomorrow and then head straight from there to the police station, to apply for my visa. I hope that they give me a temporary work permit so that I may start asap.

With that said, there is one huge problem that has come up. It is finding a new apartment for myself and that too, possibly near the place I will be working. I am leaving the one I am currently at by the end of June. I will not even keep it if I wanted to because it is too far away. I live in one end of Helsinki and the job place is in another city right next to Helsinki, called Espoo. I checked the bus route for tomorrow's trip and this is what came up:


and if you look at the map it looks kind of like the map here. I live in Vuosaari and have to commute to Spektri in Espoo.

So, its 70 minutes of traveling if I manage not to miss a bus, which sometimes just happens. Anyway, who does not want to live in a place that is a walk away from your home? you can always work as long as you want and come when you want and it keeps things really simple.

now to celebrate my current emplyment, I brought Dr. Pepper and 6 cans of coke. I had never tried Dr. pepper before and my impressions are that, its just another drink, nothing extraordinary. I loved the coke cans though ... it has been a while since I drank any soft drink as I had been dieting (lost 5 kgs by eating only tuna sandwiches and boiled chicken). I might have regained 1 kg after that many cans of coke however.

I am also graduating on 13th and will be wearing a suite for the occassion. The main aim for which I came to Finland is going to be realised soon. I do hope that I get some pictures and a video for the occassion. Anyway, I had planned toclean up my room and put things in order over this weekend, so that is what i am going to do right now. No matter how many times I clean my place, it always ends up being a mess.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Wishing you the best of luck at your new job.